Site Created & Managed
Wighton Village, Norfolk
(known as: Wighton Village Recreation Hut)
The Wighton Village Hall is officially titled 'Wighton Village
Recreational Hut'. It was so called by the original volunteers from the village
that formed the 'Hut Committee' in 1929. At that point they did not have a
building, or the land on which to site one. However, in 1930 successful negotiation
with Holkham Estate and some enterprising enginuity resulted in a site being
allocated/purchased and for the princely sum of £100 the old corregated
steel and wood frame carpenters classroom from Wells Primary School was aquired.
For a further £100 it was dismantled and resited on its, still current,
position. The building comprised 2 rooms and the building served the community
well with many a great function being held including VE Day, the Queen's coronation
(and HM's subsequent anniversaries) and year 2000.Not least were the countless
private and wedding parties and the often recounted weekly bingo nights (probably
in the 50s & 60s) when a bus would be sent around the local villages to
collect the many enthusiasts.
The Building remained much the same until the late 90's when
the then committee were able to secure a number of grants for improvement.
These grants were used to reclad the building in modern 'wavy tin', fit new
windows, replace the floor, install gents, ladies and disabled toilets, resize
the rooms to meet modern use and install a fully equipped kitchen to hygene